1.18.2013

I knew I took pictures for a reason (Paleo 1)

I disappeared. Honestly I lost interest in maintaining a blog. It is honestly hard work and takes a lot of time. For me to edit photos, upload, and write it is about an hour each post. I want to continue to document my life, though. So I will through posting my pictures and having quick picture based posts every so often.

Recently I have change my lifestyle to that of the Paleo diet. I read It starts with Food and have given up all added sugars, grains (including oatmeal), legumes (including peanut butter), no seeds (including soy anything, and quinoa) and no dairy (no cheese or yogurt.) ((Those examples are just the hardest things for me to give up)) All in an attempt to live a healthier life. I have been doing this for 18 days now, going strong, and feeling great. I went through a "carb flu" when my body adjusted to burning fat for fuel and got used to the lack of carbs and sugary sweets. Just a slight fogginess in my head for a couple days and now I feel great. No more stuffed "I want to die" feeling after eating. Eating meat, fish, veggies, sweet potato (and occassionally fruit) has left me feeling full for hours after I eat. When before I wanted to eat all day. I was engorging myself on sugars and carbs, and I gained weight over the past 2 years because of it.

I am trying to make wise choices as to what I put into my body, reading labels, not buying food if it has any chemicals or strange words in the ingredients label, shopping for grass fed meat at my local farmers market, and staying away from highly processed foods and drinks. (NO SODA 2013, WOOO!)

Kale bun burger with home made Extra virgin olive oil mayo, bacon, and sweet potato fries.

Chicken breast with squash and zucchini, with a side of bacon wrapped asparagus.

Salmon with a delicious glaze, sugar snap peas, brocolli, zuchinni, and parsnips.

Lemon tilapia with asparagus, assorted olives, and half a sweet potato covered in cinnamon. Side bowl of various green and orange veggies (I can't remember what.)
Baked eggplant covered in coconut flakes for crunch, Grape leaves stuffed with Lamb (Dolmas), and a carrot, shallot, squash and tomato salad. Served with a side of homemade Tzatziki made with coconut milk instead of yogurt.

Pumpkin/banana pancakes with blueberry and banana topping. 

No flour, except for coconut flour if needed. Just eggs, baking soda, pumpkin and banana. Oh and cinnamon.

We made rice-less sushi one day, using avocado or riced cauliflower in place of white rice. Found sashimi grade salmon, added cucumber, sweet yellow pepper, carrots, avocado, and calamari on nori.

And sweet potato sushi too.

For a snack we made kale chips . Delicious with garlic salt sprinkled on top.

Some pastured eggs I got from a local farmer. Delicious, I love how they lay different colored eggs. I start every morning with a couple eggs, scrambled, over easy, or sunny side up, omelet, or a frittata. I need to make a quiche soon.

I have already lost 10 pounds, and the first month is only half way over! I have so much energy and wake up happy and ready to go in the mornings. I have learned so much about cooking in the last 18 days than I have in my whole life, by trying new recipes. I have also gained a new appreciation for these whole foods as I can now taste their full flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks!